Periodically we like to round up a series of articles on a particular topic – today, we’re dishing on healthy eating when you work from home (and therefore have constant access to your kitchen but possibly very limited time for making healthy meals).
When you work from home (or own your own business outside of your home), it’s a fairly typical problem to skip lunch, or to grab something quick that isn’t necessarily nutritious. My biggest problem is that I literally have to walk through my kitchen – right past the pantry – to get from the main areas of my house to my home office. To say that I never stopped for a quick snack would be an outright lie.
As a solo-preneur, I struggle not only to eat healthy snacks while I’m at home (no raiding the cookie jar) but also to make healthy, single-serving lunches that don’t take too much time away from my work day to prepare. Since I imagine some of you are in the same boat, today I’m rounding up some delicious recipes for healthy snacks and quick meals you can eat while you’re working (from home or anywhere else).
- If you find yourself getting caught by the mid-day slump, here’s a list of energy-boosting snacks from Fitness Magazine to help you get back on track, and back to work.
- Granola is a great way to start your day, but the pre-packaged varieties are often loaded with extra sugar. Make your own with this recipe from Tree Hugger and you can have it for breakfast or any other time of the day! Pair it with fruit and yogurt for a more filling combination, or eat it straight instead of snack mix or chips.
- Speaking of chips, how about a few healthy substitutes? Snack Girl has a recipe for kale chips and one for apple chips, so whether you’re in the mood for salty or sweet she’s got you covered. Betcha can’t cook up just one batch!
- One of my newest healthy-snack obsessions is the KIND nuts and spices bar variety. Delicious, and much healthier than other grab and go snacks. The problem is that they’re nearly $2 a bar at my grocery store, so I love this copycat recipe collection from The Yummy Life that shows me how to make my own!
- Chickpeas are a great source of protein, and they’re basically my favorite member of the legume family. I love this recipe for making spiced chickpea “nuts” from Delish.com – I could see myself mixing up a batch of these ahead of time and pairing them with some fresh veggies, fruit and cheese for an easy lunch!
- If you want a light lunch or an easy but hearty snack, try out some Tabbouleh from Whole Living! Pair it with whole grain pita chips and you’re good to go, any time of the day.
- On a hot summer day, fresh veggies and dip is a snack that really hits the spot. If you’re tired of putting kale in your smoothies and salads, cream it into a dip! This recipe from Whole Living shows you how.
So the next time you’re looking for a healthy snack and you’re tired of apples and peanut butter – give one of these recipes a try! If you’ve got a favorite that we didn’t include in our list, let us know in the comments below so we can all chow down!