Since some of you may be newer readers or visitors to the blog, I thought it might be fun to catch you up on the things you’ve missed since we started posting business advice and wisdom (ahem) in our little corner of the world.Read More
It’s back-to-school time, and that means for a lot of kids that it’s time to get a physical or a check-up. That got me thinking that it might be a good idea to give your business a professional once-over while you’re at it!
If you’re at all involved in the creative business industry, then you know that holiday sales can sometimes be the make-or-break point of your year. A good round of holiday sales means “Best Year Ever!” and a bad round means, well, the opposite.
If you’re hoping to have a successful holiday sales season, then you’re in luck! This week the folks at CreativeLive are hosting a holiday sales party, and you’re invited!Read More
It’s time for #ThinkCreateReflect, your bimonthly dose of thought-provoking creative fun!
There’s a new social media tool on the scene, and it may be one that leaves you going – huh?
Periscope is a new medium for interacting with people LIVE, via video feed. You turn on your phone or tablet, start recording, and do your thing. Then it’s over, and it replays for a little bit of time and then it’s gone.
So … why should you be using it, then?
The beauty of Periscope is that it doesn’t last forever. It’s a fun, quick way to interact with people without worrying about looking silly or having a bad hair day, because it’s not going to stay around the Internet forever and get re-tweeted into the ether if you mess something up. It’s meant to be informal and fast, so there’s really very little need to prepare for it.
What kinds of things should you put on Periscope, you may be asking? Here’s a list of ideas!
- behind-the-scenes tours of your studio/work space
- a video journal, outlining your newest product/creation and how you came up with the idea
- a demonstration that shows your product(s) in action
- a quick how-to that uses your products (how to draw X, how to paint your nails like a pro, how to wind a skein of yarn into a ball, how to wear a twisted headband)
- a live Q&A session where people can ask you about your area of expertise
- an explanation of how you do something (how I manage my business with kids, how I keep track of my sales, how I plan my color schemes, how I organize my ribbon collection)
- a show-and-tell of your favorite tools (markers, calligraphy pens, knitting needles, online apps)
The tagline for Periscope is, “Exploring the world through someone else’s eyes.” So just think about what “your world” is, in terms of your brand, your business, your persona – and then show that to your audience!
It’s a good idea to have a place for people to find out you’re going to be on Periscope; post messages to Instagram, Twitter, Facebook or your blog when you’re going to go live, and invite people to join you!
Want more ideas + inspiration? Here are some biz smarties and what they have to say about Periscope:
- Creative Hive: What is Periscope & why you should be using it for your business
- Blacksburg Belle: Why you should join Periscope today and Five steps to getting started on Periscope
- Academy of Handmade: 25 Things Makers Can Do on Periscope
Have we inspired you? Share your Periscope stories with us in the comments!Read More
Do you love Instagram? I sure do! It’s probably my favorite place to go for social media browsing, and I also use it to follow several creative business owners because I like to peek inside their behind-the-scenes and I want to know about their shop updates.Read More