Welcome to #ThinkCreateReflect, where we give you a dose of creative inspiration!
This week, it’s time to LET IT GO. Here’s how:
- Think about something negative you’ve been holding onto – a resentment, a moment of self-loathing, a bad conversation or an old relationship.
- Take out a sheet of paper and free-write: take as long as you need to pour out all of your thoughts on this subject. (You can also do this by typing, but there’s something extra therapeutic about putting pen to paper, isn’t there? And maybe at that moment when you feel your hand cramping up you know it’s time not to let yourself keep hurting over this issue!)
- Take three deep breaths – in, and out. In, and out. In, and out. Ground yourself in the moment and bring yourself back to the now.
- Look at that paper, with all of its negativity, and release it. You can tell yourself something like, “I release this situation,” or “I don’t need this in my life any more,” or “I won’t let this continue to pull me down.” Or just silently tell yourself that you’re done with this, over it, don’t need it.
- Tear the paper into tiny pieces or burn it into a fire-safe bowl. Get rid of it, completely.
- Now go do something nice for yourself; something you really enjoy. Take a walk, read a book, call an old friend, work on a creative project with no deadlines. You deserve it!
How did you feel letting it go? Tell us about it in the comments or tag it on social media with #ThinkCreateReflect!