Happy Friday, everyone!
One of my favorite things to do during the holiday season is watch holiday movies. I’m a sucker for it – I’ll watch almost anything if it’s at all related to Christmas. A few years ago, though, we quit cable at our house – we don’t get any regular TV channels at all; instead, we stream TV and movies using Netflix, Hulu Plus, and Amazon Prime (yes, all three, and it’s still WAY cheaper than paying for cable).
But at this time of the year, my holiday-special-lovin’ heart gets a little sad, because I don’t have access to “25 Days of Christmas” (and “Countdown to 25 Days of Christmas,” don’t think I wasn’t over the MOON when they started doing that one, because I totally was) on TV. I don’t have a different holiday classic automatically scheduled to my screen every night during December.
If you’re in a similar situation, you’re in luck! I’ve rounded up a bunch of holiday favorites you’ll be able to find on the streaming TV services I’ve listed above*. So let’s get in the holiday spirit, shall we?
*Note: I’m only including the good ones here, and that’s a totally arbitrary definition based on my own experience as a fanatical lover of holiday movies. There are others that I’m not listing, because I wouldn’t watch them so I assume that nobody else would either. 😉
Holiday Movies on Netflix:
- Mr. Bean’s Holiday
- Lady Gaga and the Muppets: A Holiday Spectacular (Here’s a tip – put the Muppets in anything and I will watch it, every time.)
- Holiday in Handcuffs (Melissa Joan Hart & Mario Lopez, my 90s-TV-watching tween self can’t resist)
- Christmas with the Kranks
- Mickey’s Once Upon (and Twice Upon) a Christmas
- Muppet Christmas Carol (Hands-down, my favorite holiday movie OF ALL TIME.)
- Nightmare Before Christmas (a close second)
- Ernest Saves Christmas (I’m sorry, I had to. I love Ernest – know what I mean, Vern?)
- White Christmas (Danny Kaye + Bing Crosby = WIN.)
- Scrooged (I also love almost every version of A Christmas Carol.)
- Babes in Toyland
- Love, Actually
Holiday Movies on Amazon Prime:
- Radio City Christmas Spectacular (featuring The Rockettes)
- Jack Frost (the Rankin & Bass classic)
- Jack Frost (the Michael Keaton movie)
- He-Man and She-Ra: A Christmas Special (Right?!?)
- Miracle on 34th Street (the 1947 version)
- Yes, Virginia (an adorable animated tale)
Holiday Movies on Hulu Plus:
- Care Bears Nutcracker (in 3 parts)
- The Christmas Toy (more Muppets!)
- All the South Park Christmas episodes (and I’m not sorry)
Looking at this list, I’m realizing I need to just suck it up and pay for some of my favorites – namely the other Rankin & Bass classics. What are your go-to holiday flicks?
photo credit: <a href=”https://www.flickr.com/photos/hugecool/4170806345/”>Huge Cool</a> via <a href=”http://photopin.com”>photopin</a> <a href=”http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/”>cc</a>